Opportunities Focus presents the UK Skilled Worker Visa without LMIA, which enables international candidates with skills that meet the eligibility requirements to apply and work in the UK without the need for a labor market impact assessment. This visa has replaced the tier 2 (general) work visa and provides its applicants with benefits such as evaluation based on the shortage occupation list and no LMIA test required.
UK Skilled Worker Visa without LMIA – Do you have any skills that you want to show the world in order to advance your career? Then you can apply for a skilled worker visa and begin working in the UK. All international candidates who want to work legally in the UK can apply for the visa. Of course, a few occupations are assigned a skilled worker visa, and you must meet the eligibility requirements for those visas. To that end, I’ve compiled some information for all foreigners to assist you in completing the UK skilled worker visa application process.
It is to inform you that the tier 2 (general) work visa has been replaced by a skilled worker visa. When compared to other visas, it is one of the best worker visas, with a lot to offer its applicants. When you apply for a visa, you will be evaluated based on the shortage occupation list, and if you are found to be eligible, you will be assigned a UK skilled worker visa. The LMIA (labor market impact assessment) test is not required for this visa.
All interested candidates must read this entire post in order to understand how and on what basis you will apply for the UK skilled worker visa. I have also answered some of the most common questions, so you don’t have to look further.
UK Skilled Worker Visa without LMIA Details
- Host Country: United Kingdom
- Category: UK skilled worker visa
- Eligible countries: All Nationalities
What is a UK Skilled Worker Visa?
A UK skilled worker visa is assigned to all foreigners with certain skills and knowledge and who want to work in the UK legally. This visa does not require LMIA (a labor market impact assessment document used to assess the ability and capability of a worker).
UK Skilled Worker Visa Requirements
If you want to apply for a UK skilled worker visa, you need to go through the following eligibility criteria assigned by the government of the UK. These include;
- All applicants must have a job offer.
- All applicants must work for a company or employer the Home Office approves.
- All applicants must obtain a sponsorship certificate from the company or employer containing all the job details.
- All applicants must abide by the eligible occupation list available on the official website of the UK government. Check
- All applicants must also know their occupation code which lets you know if their job is eligible. You can find it on the ONS occupation coding tool if you still need to get your code.
- All applicants must earn the average salary for the type of job they are doing. The average annual income of a skilled worker in the UK is £27,000 or £10.10 per hour.
- All applicants must possess English-level skills of B1 in speaking, reading, writing, and listening.
- If you apply through a point-based system, you must score at least 70 points.
Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).
The certificate of sponsorship is a work permit that your employer issues before starting a job. This certificate will indicate your employment eligibility. Ensure your sponsor is licensed because only they can issue a sponsorship certificate. After securing a certificate, you will receive a reference number that will be later used in the Home Office application.
All applicants applying from abroad will need a defined COS through the sponsorship management system. You can apply for the visa within three months of your employment starting day.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
So, if you are a resident of one of the following countries and applying for a skilled worker visa, then you do not need to prove your English language proficiency, such as;
- Antigua and Barbuda
- New Zealand
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United States
You are exempt from English language tests if you are a dentist, nurse, doctor, midwife, or vet.
UK Skilled Worker Visa Conditions
So, I have mentioned all the conditions of the UK skilled worker visa without LMIA for you; these are as follows:
- You can bring your dependents on the UK SWV to the United Kingdom.
- Your partner or spouse is also entitled to work in the UK as your dependent.
- No limitation on the number of visas issued.
- The minimum salary requirement while working as a skilled worker is now reduced to £25,600 from £30,000.
- You can also apply for Fast Track Visas if you are a healthcare professional, like a doctor or nurse.
- You are not allowed to apply for public funds or state pensions.
- You are not allowed to change jobs or employers without updating your visa.
You will need to prepare the following necessary documents if you want to apply for a UK Skilled Worker visa without LMIA, such as;
- Certificate of Sponsorship (COS)
- Reference number that your employer gives.
- Proof of proficiency in the English language.
- A valid passport
- Identity and nationality card.
- A document indicating your job and annual salary.
- The code of occupation of your job.
- Name of your employer
- and the sponsor license number of your employer (mentioned on the certificate of sponsorship).
Some of the following documents are needed depending on the situation of the applicants, such as:
- Suppose your partners and children are applying for a visa. In that case, you must prove your relationship with your partner/children that you are in a civil partnership/marriage recognized by UK law or that you have been in a relationship for at least two years during the time of application for the visa.
- Proof of sufficient financial means through the bank statement.
- You must also submit your tuberculosis test results if you are a citizen of a listed country. It is highly required if your stay is longer than six months.
- You will also need a valid ATAS certificate if your job involves research studies about a sensitive subject at the Ph.D. level or higher programs.
- You must have blank pages in your passport if you belong from outside the EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein.
- If you are from Norway, Iceland, the EU, Switzerland, or Liechtenstein but do not have a biometric passport with a chip in it, then you will also need blank pages in your passport.
- You are also required to provide a clean criminal record certificate if you are from outside the UK and want to work in the following sectors:
- Social services
- Remember to submit all documents translated into English or Welsh; otherwise, submit a certified translated document.
UK Skilled Worker Visa Application Process
The process of application is explained below;
- First, you must obtain a CoS (certificate of sponsorship) from your company or employer.
- Then you must submit an online application for a UK Skilled Worker visa (available on the official website).
- Make sure you are reading every step of the application carefully.
- Then you will provide the required information and answer in English. You will need to choose where you plan to live.
- Upload all the required documents.
- You can also scan/photograph the documents.
- All uploaded photos or scanned documents must be in PNG, JPG, or JPEG format.
- Pay the visa fee online.
- Pay the amount of healthcare surcharge.
- After all the procedures, you must schedule an appointment and attend your nearest visa application center.
- You can find the location of the visa application center on GOV.UK.
How to prove your English language proficiency?
There are the following ways through which you can prove your English level proficiency:
- Passing an English Language Test from an approved center.
- Having a GCSE (A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher) in English.
- By having a degree that was taught in English.
UK Skilled Worker Visa Processing Time
After you apply, it can take up to eight weeks if you are applying from inside the UK and 3-4 weeks if you are applying from outside the UK.
UK Skilled Worker Visa Cost
The cost of visa application for the UK Skilled Worker visa is as follows:
- Stay for less than three years – £625
- Stay for more than three years – £1,235
- Healthcare surcharge for each stay – £624
- Extension fee from inside the UK for a less than 3 years stay – £719
- Extension fee from inside the UK for more than 3 years stay – £1,423
- Shortage occupation role fees for three-year-long stay – £479
- Shortage occupation role fees for more than three-year-long stays – £943
The UK Work Visa is valid for up to five years. You can extend or update your visa before its expiry. You can apply for an extension for unlimited times if you comply with the requirements.
What happens when you enter the UK with a UK Skilled Worker Visa?
You will receive a vignette (visa sticker) attached to your passport, allowing you to enter the country. You will receive a 30-day vignette if your stay is at least six months. After that, you will be issued a Biometric residence permit (BRP) valid for the rest of the visa period.
For further details, visit the official website of the UK government, GOV.UK.
So, in today’s post, we have explained the entire application process for a UK skilled worker visa and provided you with a guide on how to prepare for your appointment with all of the necessary documents. Remember that you may be asked to provide additional documentation.